Vasily Petrenko and the RLPO continue their critically acclaimed Elgar project with Sea Pictures and The Music Makers, with Kathryn Rudge as soloist. Sea Pictures is one of the composer’s most popular works and as an orchestral song cycle stands alongside those by Mahler and Strauss. The Music Makers however has had a more troubled history. Elgar had worked on it on and off from 1903 and it was premiered in 1912. Both words and music came in for criticism. Elgar quotes from his symphonies, and ‘Nimrod’ as well as other sources. It can be viewed in the same way as ‘Ein Heldenleben’’ though here the composer is not a hero, but a bard.
- Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra concerts continue 5 November to 15 December 2020
- Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra On Demand – Tickets on sale now!
- Vasily Petrenko & Oslo Philharmonic Release Rimsky-Korsakov Orchestral Works on Lawo Classics
- New Music from Vasily Petrenko & RLPO: Elgar – Sea Pictures, The Music Makers Out Now
- Vasily Petrenko and Oslo Philharmonic Release R. Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie, Tod und Verklärung