Vasily Petrenko and the RLPO continue their critically acclaimed Elgar project with Sea Pictures and The Music Makers, with Kathryn Rudge as soloist. Sea Pictures is one of the composer’s most popular works and as an orchestral song cycle stands alongside those by Mahler and Strauss. The Music Makers however has had a more troubled history. Elgar had worked on it on and off from 1903 and it was premiered in 1912. Both words and music came in for criticism. Elgar quotes from his symphonies, and ‘Nimrod’ as well as other sources. It can be viewed in the same way as ‘Ein Heldenleben’’ though here the composer is not a hero, but a bard.
- Vasily Petrenko & RLPO Nominated for South Bank Sky Arts Award for Mahler 1 & 2
- Vasily Petrenko Begins Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Music Director Tenure at BBC Proms & EIF
- Vasily Petrenko’s Final Concerts with RLPO Announced for 9 & 10 July
- Vasily Petrenko & the RPO Welcome Audiences back to London’s Southbank Centre on 2 June
- Vasily Petrenko and Oslo Philharmonic Release Prokofiev/Myaskovsky 21 May